Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Key Club Cali-Nev-Ha District Convention 2010

Key Club Cali Nev Ha District Convention is always something that I look forward to every year and this year didn't disappoint. We were back in Sacramento this time around, which meant an 8 hour bus ride. The bus ride wasnt bad. And before you know it we were there.

We stayed at the Residence Inn, which was about 2 blocks away from the convention center. This year our room was a suite. We had 2 bed rooms, 2 bathrooms, connected by a living room area and a kitchen. We had 10 guys in our room. It was crazy at times, but fun overall. Reseda had 22 members total, 13 boys and 9 girls.

The Key Club spirit never fails to amaze me. The energy was flowing throughout the convention halls, and you could hear the cheers and feel the vibrations in the floor. On the way to workshops and getting into general sessions especially, there was alot of pushing and shoving as well as alot of spirit and cheers. Its a strange mix of good and bad, but it makes for a unique high energy environment.

Every year we have a motivational speaker, and this year that man was Keith Hawkins. Mr. Hawkins was definitely the most memorable and fun speaker that I've seen at DCON. He made some really funny jokes, played games like Simon says, and rhythm based activities. It was just alot of fun listening to him talk and interact with the crowd. The biggest thing that I took from his workshop and speech was the idea of Go Human. Go Human is like Go Green, but instead of fixing the world, its the idea that we have to fix the human race first. Go Human promotes give what you need, meaning that if you need friendship, give friendship; if you need respect, give respect; it will all come back to you. This will make our world a better place for everyone. I really agreed with and bought into the idea of Go Human.

I put in alot of time and effort into Key Club during my high school career and I think that this was a great way to end it. Key Club has given me so much, everything from experience to friends to helping me grow as a leader and person. I really hope to continue my involvement in the Kiwanis family, as well as promote Key Club to help other people gain what I did, if not more, from Key Club. Thank you Key Club and the Kiwanis Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment